[SciPy-Dev] Vectorized Newton method PR 8357

Mark Alexander Mikofski mikofski at berkeley.edu
Sun Apr 29 18:44:30 EDT 2018

Hi,

Does anyone have any comments on PR 8357 for a vectorized Newton method?

https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/8357

I believe it is nearly ready to be merged, but there haven't been any new
comments on it in about 3 weeks. I know the SciPy maintainers are
volunteering their free time, which I greatly appreciate. So I understand
that it may take a long time, but I was just wondering if there was any
news on it from any of the maintainers.

I have spent about 3 months on it addressing many reviewers' suggestions,
and I think it is in very good shape. It should improve performance for
vectorized functions considerably while having almost no impact on current
users' scalar functions. Several users have indicated that PR 8357 will
improve their projects, and this PR also closes two outstanding issues.
There are already docs, tests, and benchmarks, but if there are still more
concerns I am happy to address them.

Thanks!