[SciPy-Dev] linalg.solve keyword deprecation

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Mon Apr 23 09:23:57 EDT 2018

ma, 2018-04-23 kello 12:20 +0200, Ilhan Polat kirjoitti:
[clip: solve(sym_pos=, debug=)]
> Hence I've proposed to deprecate these in
> https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/8715/files . Pauli also chimed in
> and
> mentioned that this might not be a good idea since this is a central
> function and the benefits might not be worth the effort and backwards
> compatibility problems. With Python2 dying, I think the backwards
> compatibility part won't be such important problem anymore and the
> benefit
> is that we don't need to have such strange signature.

This I think is relevant:

http://blog.khinsen.net/posts/2017/11/22/stability-in-the-scipy-ecosystem-a-summary-of-the-discussion/

My own position is that any breakage should have good reasons behind
it, and cosmetic reasons (function signature with some duplicated
functionality) usually are not strong enough.

Re: Python3 --- I think that Python 3 also breaks things should not be
a permission to break more things.

	Pauli