[SciPy-Dev] [gpaw-users] wrapper for Scalapack

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 14:36:17 EDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 7:05 AM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 4:17 AM, marc <marc.barbry at mailoo.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I guess this problem of dependency could be avoid with a custom
>>> installation.
>>> MPI code could be compile only if specify, in a similar fashion than the
>>> mkl library for Blas/Lapack wrappers.
>>

>> There's a major difference there: MKL is optional, but BLAS/LAPACK is
>> not. We require a BLAS/LAPACK install, the implementations can be switched
>> out.
>>
>> For ScaLAPACK it seems pretty clear we can't require it to be installed.
>> Moreover, distributed computing is out of scope for SciPy. So developing
>> your ScaLAPACK wrappers (which do seem very useful indeed) as a separate
>> package looks like the better way to go.
>>

> But does distributed computing stay out of scope for SciPy after 1.0?
> As a long term plan towards 2.0?

Such changes are worth discussing once in a while, usually sharpens the
focus:)

My first thoughts:
- traditional stuff like MPI, BLACS, ScaLAPACK will likely always remain
out of scope
- we can consider new dependencies, but only if they do not make it harder
to install SciPy
- a few more likely changes would be to start allowing/supporting pandas
data frames as inputs, broader use of simple (optional) parallelization
with joblib or threading, and using dask under the hood.

Ralf