[SciPy-Dev] [gpaw-users] wrapper for Scalapack

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 13:54:40 EDT 2017

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 4:17 AM, marc <marc.barbry at mailoo.org> wrote:

> I guess this problem of dependency could be avoid with a custom
> installation.
> MPI code could be compile only if specify, in a similar fashion than the
> mkl library for Blas/Lapack wrappers.

There's a major difference there: MKL is optional, but BLAS/LAPACK is not.
We require a BLAS/LAPACK install, the implementations can be switched out.

For ScaLAPACK it seems pretty clear we can't require it to be installed.
Moreover, distributed computing is out of scope for SciPy. So developing
your ScaLAPACK wrappers (which do seem very useful indeed) as a separate
package looks like the better way to go.

Cheers,
Ralf