[SciPy-Dev] Issue #7332

Matt Haberland haberland at ucla.edu
Sat May 13 15:07:16 EDT 2017

Hi Ashwin,

Like scipy.optimize.fsolve, scipy.optimize.root
<https://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy-0.19.0/reference/generated/scipy.optimize.root.html#scipy.optimize.root>
finds the solution of a nonlinear vector valued function, that is, the the
solution of a system of nonlinear equations. Based on this
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30636988/python-scipy-fsolve-mismatch-between-the-input-and-output-shape-of-the-func-a>
it appears that the difference between root and fsolve is that fsolve requires
the dimension of the input (e.g. x0) to be the same as the dimension of the
output (e.g. return of f) but I haven't confirmed by testing. I agree that
this is not immediately apparent from the documentation (and this might be
something you could clear up). Also, can others chime in on why they are
separate? Backwards compatibility?

Matt

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 9:55 AM, ashwin.pathak <
ashwin.pathak at students.iiit.ac.in> wrote:

> Hi Developers,
>
> I was trying to gain some knowledge about scipy.optimize and was trying to
> fix #7322 but I am unable to understand what exactly does the
> scipy.optimize.root() does. There is a lack of resource, can someone
> suggest me any resources or explain it to me?
>
> Thank you

Matt Haberland
Assistant Adjunct Professor in the Program in Computing
Department of Mathematics
7620E Math Sciences Building, UCLA