[SciPy-Dev] GSoC'17: Circular statistics

Vladislav Iakovlev iavlaserg at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 14:50:21 EST 2017

Hello!

My name is Vladislav Iakovlev. I am a master student of Department of
Applied Math, HSE University, Moscow, Russia. I have never contributed to
open source projects, but I would be happy to start it with SciPy.

I noticed that existing functionality for circular statistics is
insufficient. So, I want to suggest an idea for GSoC: implement it to
scipy.stats. My plan is to do it through the next steps:

1)      Develop the class rv_circular, analogous to rv_continuous adjusted
to circular statistic functions.

2)      Develop derived classes for circular distributions.

3)      Develop point estimations and statistical tests functions.

During the summer, I assume to implement materials from chapters 1-8 of the
book “MARDIA, K. V. AND JUPP , P. E. (2000), Directional Statistics, John
Wiley”, documentation and unit tests for it.

Is this idea interesting for the Community? I’m glad to any feedback.