[SciPy-Dev] GSoC'17 candidate - Interested in Nose to Pytest Migration.

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 13:06:19 EST 2017

wrote:

> [...]
unittest. At that time (and incidentally, when nose and pytest began),
`python -m unittest discover` didn't exist.

>> > As Josef said, "import scipy; scipy.test()" must work (always useful,
but especially important on Windows).

>> Okay. And?
>
> No and, just pointing out that `python -m unittest discover` doesn't cut
it.

Ah, I see. When I wrote that, I didn't mean that we'd type in `python -m
unittest discover` all the time. I was just referring to modern unittest's
builtin test discovery functionality, which makes it a feasible tool to
underlie `scipy.test()`. If that had existed at the time, we likely
wouldn't have rewritten `scipy.test()` to use nose.

--
Robert Kern