[SciPy-Dev] GSoC17 - Question about candidacy

Evgeni Burovski evgeny.burovskiy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 08:59:13 EST 2017

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Євгеній Гизила <hyzyla at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear developers
>
> I'm Yevhenii Hyzyla and I'm an undergraduate student from Taras Shevchenko
> National University of Kyiv in Ukraine. I don't have any experience of open
> source contributing, but I want to start this way from SciPy. I have good
> knowledge of Python (some small pet project) and C on sufficient level
> (university course). Also, I have an experience of working with SciPy
> library and SciPy stack in general.
>
> After seeing the wiki page with ideas and I think I could develop
> scipy.diff, because I have good knowledge about differential and how to
> calculate them using numerical or symbolic methods. (I had courses at
> university from Mathematical analysis and Numerical analysis). And my
> hobbies are Math and  Python.
>
> 1) If I make some patches to scipy, what chance of being accepted will be?
> 2) How many students applies to scipy each year?
> Could I get feedback about my candidacy from developers?
>
> Thank for reading!
>
> Yevhenii

Hi Yevhenii,

Glad to see your interest in this project!

It's a bit hard to say anything about chances at this point. It'll
depend on several things: the number and quality of applications, the
availability of mentors, and so on.

Our selection process relies a lot on the project proposals. From
experience, writing a good proposal takes several iterations. I thus
encourage you to write the first iteration and send it to this list.

Cheers,

Evgeni