[SciPy-Dev] ?==?utf-8?q? Stochastic branch and bound optimization algorithm

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 11:37:00 EDT 2017

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 1:41 AM, ROSA Benoit <b.rosa at unistra.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Your reply comes just at the right time, since I had a bit of time to work
> on this today :)
>
> I tried to setup the benchmarks for this too, but I get some problems when
> running them.
>
> Long story short, the benchmark fails to run, throwing an error from the
> ASV package (see https://pastebin.com/0tnN2hQE for exact details). I
> don't have any experience with this, so it's quite hard for me to debug it.
> More interestingly, it also fails on a fresh clone from the main scipy
> repository.
>
> What I tried:
>
> python runtests.py --bench optimize.BenchGlobal --> fails on both my
> modified version (to add stochasticBB testing) and on the original scipy
> repository (errors described in the pastebin above)
>
> python runtests.py --bench optimize.BenchLeastSquares --> works flawlessly
>
> python runtests.py --bench optimize.BenchSmoothUnbounded --> works
> flawlessly
>
> Is there something I missed, or the benchmarking pipeline for the global
> optimization algorithms is broken at the moment ?

No, looks like something indeed got broken recently. I've filed an issue
here: https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/7658. The issue description
contains a simple fix to make things work - probably not the optimal one,
but using that locally should get you started on running your new
benchmarks.

Cheers,
Ralf