[SciPy-Dev] GSoC'17 participation?

Evgeni Burovski evgeny.burovskiy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 14:32:12 EST 2017

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It's that time of year again, we should think about GSoC participation. For
> SciPy participating in previous years has definitely been worth it.
>
> Here is the ideas page from last year:
> https://github.com/scipy/scipy/wiki/GSoC-2016-project-ideas (not a whole lot
> to reuse).
>
> New ideas very welcome (ideally with mentor attached ...).
>
> Who is interested and available to (co-)mentor this year?

Thanks for starting it Ralf!

I might have some bandwidth this summer to co-mentor.

A few random ideas:

1. scipy.diff is still a nice one IMO. The focus can be on moving
`approx_derivative` to be public facing.
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/6026

2. B-splines (again!). https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/6730 and
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/6710 list possible subprojects
of ranging difficulty. This would require a student to be able to read
literature though.
Alternatively, there's rational interpolation,
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/6929 and Pauli's PR for
barycentric interpolation.

3. hypergeometric functions would be great, but this might be too
difficult. Josh, Nikolay, Ted --- you guys looked at this at some
point; any comments?

4. Testing: A relatively easy task could be to enable a move away from
nose to pytest, for both scipy and numpy. Ideally as a result the test
suites can be run with either of those with all the bells and
whistles, with fast/slow/xslow tests, skipifs and knownfailures.

Cheers,

Evgeni