[SciPy-Dev] SciPy governance model

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Sat Jan 14 11:17:52 EST 2017

Fri, 13 Jan 2017 09:22:58 -0800, Matthew Brett kirjoitti:
[clip]
> So, I propose, rather than have a BDFL, we have a system for choosing a
> leader, say every 4 years, where we may or may not have limits on the
> number of consecutive terms.

I have no problem in principle with a model with a less permanent final
decision authority role, or with more fallbacks for cases of serious
conflict. However, I don't immediately know how to write down the details
of such a model, and I think amendments would be best communicated via
change suggestions in the PR.

On the other hand, I must say I don't immediately see the value in making
this role regularly rotating. This is because: (i) the person can step
down at any time, and acting in good faith, will also listen to serious
calls to do so, (ii) regular elections can generate unnecessary work and
politics -- looking at the past 10 years of scipy, there has been little
of this, and I believe this is for the best, (iii) this is more of a role
for fallback decision making and less for a director/CEO.

For those who did not read the linked document, the purpose of this
particular role, despite the purposefully silly title, is mainly to
enable the project to choose a direction in cases where consensus cannot
be found. In the optimal case, this never happens, and there is no need
to do anything. In particular, making decisions on the direction and
vision for the project is in the hands of those on the steering council.

Best regards,
Pauli