[SciPy-Dev] Arff-handling?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 03:10:26 EST 2017

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Moy Git <moygit1729 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> My team is writing code to slice and dice arff files: add/delete/update
> columns, save arffs, join two arffs on a key, append rows, etc. If there's
> interest in adding this functionality to SciPy's arff module please let me
> know and I'll send a PR.
>
> (Brief description: I'll extend arffread's MetaData class and add Arff and
> Data classes. Arff will have a convert_to_numpy method, and arffread's
> loadarff function will just create an Arff and call its convert_to_numpy.
> This will maintain backward-compatibility and also let us add new stuff to
> Arff.)

Hi Moy, given the lack of interest and that (AFAIK) no SciPy devs are users
of arff files, it may be better to keep the functionality in scipy.io
simple. There's a dedicated package for arff files called liac-arff [1, 2]
that looks pretty good and may be a better place for the more advanced
functionality you are proposing.

[1] https://github.com/renatopp/liac-arff
[2] https://pythonhosted.org/liac-arff/

Cheers,