[SciPy-Dev] GSoC'17 candidate - Interested in Nose to Pytest Migration.

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 16:35:54 EST 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:

> Mon, 27 Feb 2017 19:13:48 +0300, Evgeni Burovski kirjoitti:
> [clip]
> > A few scattered thoughts about the project:
> >
> > - This is not exactly a transition to pytest as such. The goal is to
> > allow an alternative test runner, with minimal changes to the test
> > suite.
>
> I'd suggest we should consider actually dropping nose, if we make the
> suite pytest compatible.
>
> I think retaining nose compatibility in the numpy/scipy test suites does
> not bring advantages --- if we are planning to retain it, I would like to
> understand why. Supporting two systems is more complicated, makes it
> harder to add new tests, and if the other one is not regularly used,
> it'll probably break often.
>
> I think we should avoid temptation to build compatibility layers, or
> custom test runners --- there's already complication in numpy.testing
> that IIRC originates from working around issues in nose, and I think not
> many remember how it works in depth.
>
> I think the needs for Scipy and Numpy are not demanding, so sticking with
> "vanilla" pytest features and using only its native test runner would
> sound best. The main requirement is numerical assert functions, but AFAIK
> the ones in numpy.testing are pytest compatible (and independent of the
> nose machinery).

If we're migrating test runners, I'd rather drop all dependencies and
target `python -m unittest discover` as the lowest common denominator
rather than target a fuzzy "vanilla" subset of pytest in particular.

This may well be the technical effect of what you are describing, but I
think it's worth explicitly stating that focus.

--
Robert Kern