[SciPy-Dev] cKDTree

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 12:59:46 EDT 2016

Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com> wrote:

> is different (only machine learning). In theory one could add different
> flavours of spatial search in scipy.spatial. kd-trees, ball-trees,
> PCA-trees, and vp-trees all have their merits. We must keep the API
> consistent. The code must be maintainable. The code must be maintained.

I am also going to be obnoxious about doing all the heavy lifting in C or
C++, not Python or Cython, for the sake of releasing the GIL. Those who use
spatial search trees in e.g. computer games are dependent on
multithreading. Not neccesarily for parallel processing, but the
interpreter cannot be locked up for extended periods of time. This is the
reason cKDTree is currently written in C++.

Sturla