[SciPy-Dev] Policy for minimum numpy version

Eric Quintero ericq at caltech.edu
Wed Jul 27 13:52:18 EDT 2016

Hi All,

In gh-6058 <https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/gh-6058>, I’ve run into a test failure because a numpy function was not available in version 1.7 (the function being np.fft.rfftfreq). This is easy enough to work around, but I wonder when we should decide to move up the minimum required numpy version.

Debian stable currently offers numpy 1.8.2. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (which is EOL next April) is stuck on 1.6.1, so they’re already left behind. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS has 1.8.2.

Has anyone ran into compatibility issues with 1.7 before? In _lib._numpy_compat, there is another 1.7 workaround in place for np.testing.assert_warns.

-Eric Q.