[SciPy-Dev] ode and odeint callable parameters

Anne Archibald archibald at astron.nl
Wed Jan 20 08:43:26 EST 2016

There is periodically discussion of the mess of interfaces and solvers for
ODEs in scipy (see the archives about six months ago, for example). One of
the concerns is that people want to do very different things, so settling
on a good interface is not at all easy. I don't just mean the underlying
algorithms, but also the calling interface. It's easy to support someone
who drops in an RHS and asks for the solution at a hundred predefined
points. It's also clear that a general toolkit shouldn't support my use
case: a 22-dimensional solver with a compiled RHS generated by a symbolic
algebra package, with internal precision switchable between 80 and 128
bits, with a root-finder attached to the output to define stopping places,
that needs to all run with compiled speed. So where along that scale do you
aim scipy's interface? I have my own ideas (see aforementioned archive
thread) but don't have the energy to implement it myself. And anyway, some
people need very different things from their ODE solvers (for example,
solution objects evaluable anywhere).

Anne