[SciPy-Dev] win32 binaries and scipy 0.17.0 release

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 11:07:08 EST 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Carl Kleffner <cmkleffner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Python binary extensions build with mingw-w64 and MSVC based CPython
> combatibility in mind should be compiled with a toolchain that has to be
> build with specific configurations and patches.
>
> The most important demands are exclusive linking the appropriate MS CRT
> runtime and statically linking the gcc runtime objects. Some other
> configurations are handling long double as double (as MS ABI does not
> support extended precision), standrad exception and win32 thread handling.
> Universal runtime support (VS 2015) is planned for the future.
>
> I doubt that this demands can be easily handled with mingw-w64 cross
> compilers found a certain Linux distros. Is the idea to build a specialized
> cross compiler for that purpose?
>
> Using the mingwpy package together with msys2 can be used instead if
> autotools have to be used. As mingwpy is not a cross compiler a windows box
> or a windows VM is needed. It was also shown that mingwpy works within Linux
> using Wine to compile python extensions.

Yes, my idea was, that it would be easier for many of us to work on
cross-compilers in Linux VMs or docker containers than to work on
Windows VMs.  We would have to customize the cross compiler.  I'm not
suggesting this should be the first attack on the problem, only that
it could be useful for the medium term.

Cheers,

Matthew