[SciPy-Dev] win32 binaries and scipy 0.17.0 release

Tony Kelman tony at kelman.net
Sat Jan 2 19:58:13 EST 2016

Nathaniel Smith <njs <at> pobox.com> writes:

> The proper solution would be for it to use a different platform tag
> than standard cpython -- so instead of looking for wheels tagged win32
> / win64, it would look for wheels tagged win32msys / win64msys (or
> whatever). But then you have the problem of convincing every project
> to provide builds for both platforms, which ugh.

Or msys2 would build and upload the wheels for their own platform tag?
I suspect they'd rather be like a Linux distribution and manage their
packaging via pacman though.

> Unfortunately openlibm currently does not work very well if you're
> using any compiler that follows the MSVC ABI, because the code pools
> it draws from (like the BSDs) assume that the x87 FPU is configured in
> "extended precision" mode (which gives you an extra 16 bits of
> precision for intermediate calculations). This is a valid assumption
> on every popular x86 ABI *except* MSVC.

Why isn't "don't use x87" an option? Set a processor floor of Pentium 4
and don't try to use long double? It's not very well-supported or high
performance on any x64 architecture anyway.