[SciPy-Dev] Scipy citations and article(s)

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 06:35:23 EDT 2016

Hi all,

On GitHub and off-list there has been some discussion on making Scipy
releases citable and producing one or more papers. So here's a short
summary for those who haven't seen that yet.

Here's a proposal to use Zenodo to generate a DOI for every new Scipy
release: https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/6446. Looks like everyone is
in favor so far.

Furthermore it looks like we want to produce at least an "abstract paper"
for a new release, for example in Journal of Open Source Software (
http://joss.theoj.org). The main objective there being to provide a way for
academics to receive the credit they deserve for contributing by being a
co-author on a peer-reviewed paper that can be cited.

Evgeni suggested to start a new repo for this under the scipy org, which
makes sense to me. The name I propose is scipy-articles. Better ideas
welcome of course. Barring objections I'll create that in a day or two.

Cheers,
Ralf