[SciPy-Dev] [Numpy-discussion] Numpy 1.10.1 released.

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Oct 14 12:38:45 EDT 2015

charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

>> * Compiling with msvc9 or msvc10 for 32 bit Windows now requires SSE2.
>>   This was the easiest fix for what looked to be some miscompiled code
when
>>   SSE2 was not used.
>

> Note that there is discusion right now on pyton-dev about requireing SSE2
for teh python.org build of python3.5 -- it does now, so it's fine for
third party pacakges to also require it. But there is some talk of removing
that requirement -- still a lot of old machines around, I guess --
particular at schools and the like.

Note that the 1.10.1 release announcement is somewhat misleading --
apparently the affected builds have actually required SSE2 since numpy 1.8,
and the change here just makes it even more required. I'm not sure if this
is all 32 bit builds or only ones using msvc that have been needing SSE2
all along. The change in 1.10.1 only affects msvc, which is not what most
people are using (IIUC Enthought Canopy uses msvc, but the pypi, gohlke,
and Anaconda builds don't).

I'm actually not sure if anyone even uses the 32 bit builds at all :-)

> Ideally, any binary wheels on PyPi should be compatible with the
python.org builds -- so not require SSE2, if the python.org builds don't.

> Though we had this discussion a while back -- and numpy could, and maybe
should require more -- did we ever figure out a way to get a meaningful
message to the user if they try to run an SSE2 build on a machine without
SSE2?

It's not that difficult in principle, just someone has to do it :-).

-n