[SciPy-Dev] scipy.integrate.nquad full_output

Nathan Woods charlesnwoods at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 10:56:35 EDT 2015

I've come up with a solution that uses h5py to handle the data, and raises
an error if someone tries to use full_output without having h5py installed.
I know that scipy frowns on external dependencies, but this really ends up
being a problem due to the large amounts of data that are generated (> 3GB
for a 4-d problem, just pickling a big mass of dict objects). Additionally,
there's no way to get the data out of scipy as-is without hacking the scipy
code itself, so whatever output mechanism chosen has to be part of the
scipy codebase.

The alternative (as I see it) is to find some way to reduce the data to
something meaningful. For something like neval, that's pretty easy. For
something like elist, it's not obvious what the appropriate reduction would
be. That inclines me toward the idea of outputting everything when asked,
at the cost of an external dependency.

Questions, comments, concerns?

Nathan Woods