[SciPy-Dev] Pull Request #5318

Henry Herbol hherbol at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 18:15:13 EDT 2015

 To Whomever is Interested,

    I have submitted a Pull Request for an optimization (minimization)
method.  It involves an adaptation of the Broyden-Fletcher-Goldfarb-Shanno
(BFGS) algorithm in which the line search step is skipped.  This was done
because there are times in which optimization is required independent of
the target function, and there was no code in the current Scipy.optimize
methods that accomodated this.  The method employed took advantage of the
BFGS(Hess) algorithm touched on by Sheppard et al. (ref here
<http://theory.cm.utexas.edu/henkelman/pubs/sheppard08_134106.pdf>) and
adjusts the step size of alpha (by a user defined beta parameter) instead
of maintaining a small alpha.

Henry Herbol

P.S. If this was not the way I was supposed to address the scipy-dev
mailing list as described here
<http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/hacking.html>, I'm sorry for
misusing the e-mail.

Contact E-mail: hherbol at gmail.com