[SciPy-Dev] Regarding taking up project ideas and GSoC 2015

Maniteja Nandana maniteja.modesty067 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 11:53:47 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

I was hoping if I could get some suggestions regarding the API for
*scipy.diff* package.

   1. Type of input to be given - callable function objects or a set of
   points as in scipy.integrate.
   2. Parameters to be given to derivative methods, like *method *(as in
   scipy.optimize) to accommodate options like *central, forward, backward,
   complex or richardson.*
   3. The maximum order of derivative needed ? Also the values of order *k*
   used in the basic method to determine the truncation error O(h^k) ?
   4. API defined in terms of functions(as in statsmodels) or classes(as in
   numdifftools) ?
   5. Return type of the methods should contain the details of the result,
   like *error *?( on lines of OptimizeResult, as in scipy.optimize )

I would really appreciate some feedback and suggestions on these issues.
The whole draft of the proposal can be seen here
<https://github.com/maniteja123/GSoC/wiki/Proposal%3A-add-finite-difference-numerical-derivatives-as-%60%60scipy.diff%60%60>
.

Thanks for reading along and giving your valuable inputs.

Cheers,
Maniteja.

>>> Maniteja.