[SciPy-Dev] Greetings SciPy Community : GSOC queries

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 16:35:29 EDT 2015

Hi Ankit, welcome!

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 10:37 AM, Ankit Kumar <ankitkmr at iitk.ac.in> wrote:

> Greetings SciPy Community,
>
> My name is Ankit Kumar and I am a third year student of Materials Science
> Engineering at IIT Kanpur, India. I am interested in knowing more about a
> project listed on SciPy GSOC Ideas page:  *Implement scipy.diff
> (numerical differentiation)*

The pull request mentioned on the GSoC ideas page is a good start for this
topic. Please note that Maniteja (another interested student) is also
looking at this project, this thread is relevant:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.devel/19467. In
principle it's not a problem for two students to submit proposals on the
same idea (GSoC student selection is competitive in any case), but it's
good to be aware that we can accept at most one proposal on the same idea.

I have extensive experience in developing projects implementing scientific
> and mathematical ideas. I built a set of scripts using panda, numpy, scipy,
> matplotlib to perform algorithmic trading. I also  implemented a grain
> strain measurement based on EBSD maps software last semester using Python,
> numpy, scipy and matplotlibs for my Mechanical Properties Lab. In Current
> semester as well I am heading the development of SaaS project a cloud based
> extractive metallurgy simulation again using Python and its web
> micro-framework flask. You may find my software source code here:
> https://github.com/ankitkmr
>
> *Kindly guide me as to how do I start working on this idea ? Which bug
> fix/enhancement should I code? Expectations in Proposals ?*

I suggest to read https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/HACKING.rst.txt
if you haven't done that yet and then start with an issue labeled
"easy-fix" to get used to the Scipy development process:
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Aeasy-fix

Regarding the proposal, Richard Tsai posted links to last years' proposals
that were accepted a few days ago. Maybe start by looking at those to get
an idea of what should be in a good proposal.

Cheers,
Ralf