[SciPy-Dev] scipy.stats improvements

Abraham Escalante aeklant at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 14:08:15 EST 2015

Hello,

My name is Abraham Escalante. I would like to make a proposal for the
"scipy.stats improvements" project for the Google Summer of Code. I am new
to the Open Source community (although I do have experience with git and
github) and this seems to me like a perfect place to start contributing.

I forked the scipy/scipy project and I've been perusing some of the
StatisticsCleanup issues since I would like to make my first contribution
before I actually make my formal proposal (and I know it would be a great
way for me to become acquainted with the code, guidelines, tests and the
like).

I have a few questions that I would like to trouble you with:

1) Most of the StatisticsCleanup open issues mention a "need for review"
and also "StatisticsReview guidelines". *Could you refer me to the
StatisticsReview guidelines?* (I have been looking but I have not been able
to find it in the forked project nor the scipy documentation). *What does
it mean to have an issue flagged as "review"?*
see https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/693 for an example of what I mean.

2) I am currently going through the code (using the StatisticsCleanup
issues as a guide) and starting to read the SciPy statistics tutorial. *Do
you have any suggested reading* to get more familiarised with SciPy (the
statistics part in particular), Numpy or to brush up on my statistics
knowledge? (pretty much anything to get me up the learning curve would be
useful).

Thanks in advance,
Abraham Escalante.