[SciPy-Dev] Powell's derivative-free optimization methods

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 14:30:03 EDT 2015

https://ccpforge.cse.rl.ac.uk/gf/project/powell/scmsvn/?action=browse&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fcobyla%2Freadme.txt&view=markup&revision=2&pathrev=2

Specifically: "There are no restrictions on the use of the software, nor do
I offer any guarantees of success."

At the time we imported the code, that was the (informal) license. His
executors have recently rereleased it under a different license after his
passing. That one does not remove the permission we received earlier.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:24 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 17/06/15 20:18, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:
>
> >     COBYLA is LGPL. Why do we have it in SciPy?
> >

> > You need to check the history. From what I remember the license was
> > different before.
>
> There is no licensing information about COBYLA in SciPy. If it was
> changed, it is not documented.
>

> Sturla

Robert Kern