[SciPy-Dev] CSD in scipy.signal?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 01:12:06 EST 2015

Hi Eric,

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 5:51 AM, Eric Quintero <ericq at caltech.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to write cross-spectral density (and, by extension,
> coherence) methods for scipy.signal, as a complement the welch’s PSD method
> already there. I haven’t contributed to scipy before, and the website
> encourages discussion of new features on this list, so here I am.

This sounds interesting. We'd definitely like to have a more comprehensive
set of spectral density methods in scipy.signal. Do you have a particular
(set of) algorithm(s) in mind?

> In addition, when computing PSDs in my field, we sometimes prefer to take
> the median of the segments, rather than the mean, in order to reduce the
> effect of transients in the data when trying to evaluate a stationary noise
> floor. I would like to add this option as a kwarg.

If that common in your field, then adding an option for it makes sense. I'd
suggest to send a separate PR for that, and keep in mind to add the new
keyword at the end to keep backwards compatibility.

Cheers,
Ralf