[SciPy-Dev] dropping numpy 1.6.2 support

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 02:24:52 EST 2015

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 6:47 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 30/12/15 15:00, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> >
> >> It's been a year since we dropped support for numpy 1.5.1 and decided to
> >> keep supporting numpy 1.6.2 for a while longer. There are regularly PRs
> >> that need to be adapted because they fail with numpy 1.6.2, latest
> >> example is https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/5641.
> >>
> >> So proposal: drop numpy 1.6.2, and make numpy 1.7.2 the lowest supported
> >> version.
> >

> > +1 for this.
>
> I seem to remember that 1.7.1 is a fairly common minimum around the
> place.  Is there something about 1.7.2 specifically that makes it
> easier to support than 1.7.1?

There are quite a few relevant bug fixes in 1.7.2:
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/doc/release/1.7.2-notes.rst

Also, we already have 1.7.2 as the lowest supported version for Python 3.x,
lower versions simply didn't work (IIRC due to f2py):
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/pavement.py#L559

Ralf