[SciPy-Dev] removing the Lena image

Cantwell Carson carsonc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 17:19:55 EDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think that's worse than an exception. An exception will be visible and
> > people can fix their code. Silently returning a different image may go
> > undetected.
>
> Yes, returning an image of a cat is certainly unacceptable. It should
> return the IEEE Lena test image or raise an error.

Although I think that would be humorous, I can see why it would not be a
good idea. My suggestion then is to remove Lena and provide an exception
suggesting an alternative command, perhaps scipy.misc.cat. I will even go
so far as to suggest a specific image of a cat, as used in the zhanxw's cat
project <https://github.com/zhanxw/cat/blob/master/cat.jpg>. This returns
the desired error, but retains the convenience that the previous image
provided.