[SciPy-Dev] removing the Lena image

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 14:14:06 EDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Cantwell Carson <carsonc at gmail.com> wrote:

> My only concern is that existing code might rely on being able to invoke
> an image with this command.

That will be the case. Example:
http://scipy-lectures.github.io/advanced/image_processing/index.html

> Then, rather than depreciate and remove, why don't we replace the image.

I think that's worse than an exception. An exception will be visible and
people can fix their code. Silently returning a different image may go
undetected.

Ideally we'd have a release with a deprecation warning and then remove the
function in the release after that, however in this case the extra 6-8
months may become an issue. Given that the impact will probably not be very
large (it's mostly examples and not people's production/research code that
will break), I'm in favor of removing it straight away.

Ralf