[SciPy-Dev] removing the Lena image

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 08:40:05 EDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The Lena image that we ship is a standard image in the image processing
>> literature, however it's also controversial
>
> Even though Playboy is a source of adult material, the Lena image in itself
> is not sexist.

It's a detail from a pornographic image, and a throwback to a
mysterious age when it was completely ordinary for this to happen in
an image processing lab:

"""
They wanted something glossy to ensure good output dynamic range, and
they wanted a human face. Just then, somebody happened to walk in with
a recent issue of Playboy.
"""

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenna

Thank God, that isn't ordinary any more.

As Pauli says - there's no need to keep Lena any more.

Matthew