[SciPy-Dev] Optimization success threshold?

Ryan J. Kinnear ryan at kinnear.ca
Fri Aug 7 16:25:44 EDT 2015

Dear list,

I'm using some of the optimization routines in scipy to help design high
frequency electronic filters, it takes a very long time to evaluate the
cost function just once (order of seconds).  It's also not necessary to
get a "perfect" design, it can quit as soon as it reaches a value that
is good enough.

As far as I can tell, there isn't really a straightforward way to tell
the optimizer to quit once it gets below some threshold.  This can be
hacked in with exceptions or the callback, but is that the best way to
do it?  Would it be valuable to add a "success threshold" to the
optimization routines?

-RK