[SciPy-Dev] 0.16.0 release

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 15:40:17 EDT 2015

Hi Abraham, Andreas,

Thanks for your interest to both of you!

The release manager is the person that is responsible for a number of
actions to get from "now we start planning for the next release" to "this
release is done". This description should give a reasonable overview (some
details may be a bit outdated):
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/blob/master/doc/HOWTO_RELEASE.rst.txt

The release manager is the person that has the final responsibility for
what does and does not go into a release, what are considered blocking
issues, etc. This part really has to be done by a core developer. However,
there's a lot of other things that the release manager also usually takes
care of which could equally well be done by one or more contributors who
are not core developers. Here's a list:
- build/test Windows and OS X binaries (.exe, .dmg, .whl)
- automate those binary builds/tests further
- tackle some of the issues that need to be resolved before the alpha /
beta / final release
- PRs to complete the release notes and contributor name mapping
- a PR to the scipy.org repo to put the release in the News section
- improve documentation of the release process itself (the less you know to
start with, the better you can document it)

Things that the release manager should do himself:
- propose the release schedule (dates for alpha/beta/rc/final)
- create the maintenance/0.16.x branch
- tag the (pre-)releases
- send the release announcement emails
- upload binaries to PyPi and SourceForge
- propose/make decisions on blockers and content

And what's always a team effort: merge as many PRs as possible before the
release split.

I hope this gives a clear picture. A "release team" that jointly tackles
the above tasks would be great. Still would like to see a core dev
volunteer though:)

Cheers,
Ralf

P.S. I shouldn't forget to mention that for a long time Matthew Brett has
been building the OS X wheels and done extensive Scipy Stack testing. And
that for an even longer time Christoph Gohlke has been testing pre-releases
with MSVC on Windows and resolving issues that are invariable found on that
platform. I definitely consider them part of the "release team" (not that
we have ever used that name before).