[SciPy-Dev] Use vecLibFort instead of Accelerate?

Ian Henriksen insertinterestingnamehere at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 16:40:13 EDT 2014

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:

> 11.10.2014, 15:53, Sturla Molden kirjoitti:
> > There is a library called vecLibFort that re-exports all the BLAS and
> > LAPACK symbols in Accelerate with gfortran ABI:
> >
> > https://github.com/mcg1969/vecLibFort
>
> One drawback in this is that asking users to download and install
> vecLibFort properly to be able to use Scipy on OSX at all seems quite
> brittle.
>
> Bundling that set of wrappers, which unlike our own works via the much
> better (osx-specific?) dynamic library symbol overrides, might be
> possible. Not sure how well the __attribute__(()) statements required
> will work on clang and various gcc versions?
>
> Fighting distutils to set up rpaths etc. for distributing the additional
> .so may however be the biggest job.
>
> @Matthew: what is the problem with the current Numpy and Scipy OSX
> builds? In principle, it should just work out of the box currently?
>
> > - For the new Cython layer, the fortranname bug in f2py would go away –
> the
> > wrappers are no longer needed.
>
> The fortranname bug is still a bug in f2py IMHO. The issue is also not
> blocking the Cython work, as there is a straightforward workaround.

Yes, it's not a problem for the Cython work.
The main issue at the moment is that I've had significantly
less time than usual over the last two weeks to work on it.
Hopefully this week will be a little calmer and I'll be able
to do a little more.

On the other hand, though I have no experience working
with accelerate, this does still sound like a really good idea.
Thanks!

-Ian