[SciPy-Dev] Pole placement

Irvin Probst irvin.probst at ensta-bretagne.fr
Wed Nov 26 13:59:43 EST 2014

Hi,

Is there any reason why scipy has no pole placement method (ppol in
Scilab or place in Matlab)? I.e for a given linear system xdot=A*X+B*U,
and a given set of poles P, find K such as eigenvalues(A-BK)=P ? Or did
I miss it in the doc ?

I'm aware of python-control
(http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~murray/wiki/Control_Systems_Library_for_Python)
but 99.9% of the time I use it it is ONLY for pole placement as scipy
already provides enough tools for simple linear systems simulations,
furthermore python-control's place() function only task is to call the
relevant function in the Scilot library (which I also need to install
BTW+ bindings from scylot).

So, I've started to port in "pure" numpy/python matlab's place()
function which is based on Kautsky et Al's algorithm, would it be of any
intest for you ? It is not rocket science, and it is not finished yet,
but I thought it could be useful for other people.

Let me know what you think and sorry for the disturbance if it is not
relevant for you.

Regards

--
Irvin