[SciPy-Dev] [Numpy-discussion] ANN: Scipy 0.15.0 beta 1 release

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 14:07:42 EST 2014

Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 12:53 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Shall we consider https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/4168 to be a blocker
>> (the issue arises on scipy master as well as 0.14.1) ?
>
> Do you think there's anything scipy can do about it? It looks like a
> pure numpy bug to me.

I think we should assume it is not a bug in NumPy. There is nothing that
dictates that an ndarray's buffer must be aligned. It can just as well be
an unaligned view or wrap an external buffer. An ndarray is valud with any
alignment, but it does not mean it can be used with intent(inout) in f2py.

Then by deduction if it is not a NumPy bug it must be a SciPy bug, which
means the bug must be the unprotected use of intent(inout) in the f2py
wrapper. I would think it is the responsibility of SciPy to ensure that
whatever is passed with intent(inout) in SciPy is properly aligned.

I believe there is not NumPy bug because f2py is doing the right thing and
reporting the error.

Sturla