[SciPy-Dev] GIL and gaussian filter

Matthias Kümmerer matthias at matthias-k.org
Fri May 2 11:47:54 EDT 2014

Hi,

I am using scipy.ndimage.filters.gaussian_filter a lot. Often, I have to blur a
range of arrays. This could be done perfectly in parallel, however the
function does not release the GIL thus I cannot use threading while
multiprocessing has quite a big overhead. When I understood the code correct,
there are no python calls in NI_Correlate1D, which is what ultimately performs
the filter.

Thus I wanted to ask whether it is possible to release the GIL inside the
correlate function and make parallel filtering easier. I will be happy to help
with this, if you can give me some hints where I have to search.

Best,
  Matthias