[SciPy-Dev] GSOC 2014: LTI systems & control / ODE integration

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Sun Mar 2 11:52:08 EST 2014

02.03.2014 18:43, Sturla Molden kirjoitti:
> Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
>> 02.03.2014 18:31, Sturla Molden kirjoitti: [clip]
>>> Right now it is possible to build SciPy without a Fortran
>>> compiler. In that case, f2c is used to translate the Fortran
>>> sources to C.
>>
>> I don't think this statement is correct.
>
> Ok. Maybe I misunderstood. (But I were under impression that this
> is possible.)

I think the build will just fail if no Fortran compiler is present.

Currently, our binaries are built using gfortran on Linux/OSX and
mingw-g77 on Windows. The problems with Fortran 90 come mainly on
Windows. It's AFAIK possible to set up a toolchain today based on
mingw-64 that can produce OK results with Gfortran without CRT issues,
but this does seem to require some nontrivial fiddling.

So at the moment, lack of out-of-the-box free toolchain for Fortran 90
on Windows is blocking inclusion of F90 code in Scipy.

--
Pauli Virtanen