[SciPy-Dev] GSOC 2014: LTI systems & control / ODE integration

Juan Luis Cano juanlu001 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 08:24:00 EST 2014

Hello all,

This is not my first message to this mailing list but let me introduce
myself anyway - I'm Juan Luis Cano, a 5th year student of Aeronautical
Engineering at TU Madrid. I am a self-taught Python programmer, editor
of the blog Pybonacci about scientific Python in Spanish language and I
have contributed to SciPy in the past (see
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/commits/master?author=juanlu001).

I showed interest last year about the ODE integration methods in SciPy,
and in fact I rewrote the odeint function in modern Fortran 90 using
f2py (see #2818) but the PR is on hold due to build problems on Windows
and backwards compatibility issues. There was some discussion on the
mailing list about totally revamping the integrators interface but it
halted.

Besides, I polished some functions in the signal.lti package but I
noticed some limitations while writing an article on PID control with
SciPy (original in Spanish in
http://pybonacci.wordpress.com/2013/11/06/teoria-de-control-en-python-con-scipy-ii-control-pid/)
and wanted to help building a solid framework for control theory within
SciPy, polishing the LTI class, adding methods to connect several blocks
and doing time response calculations and perhaps creating a graphical
user interface.

I would like to work on one (or both) of these topics as part of the
GSOC program in case they are seen as potentially useful. Any advice on
narrowing the subject and/or writing a proposal would be greatly
appreciated.

Regards,

Juan Luis Cano
Aeronautical Engineering