[SciPy-Dev] scikit package naming/submission

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Wed Jul 2 13:39:01 EDT 2014

I actually think that it should be included on the page once it is on pypi: the page simply uses a regex on pypi if I remember correctly.

Gaël

> Hello,
>
> I am creating a new package which, for now, is out of scope for sklearn. So I created scikit-protopy (current link: https://github.com/dvro/scikit-protopy).
>
> So far I have seen the following use:
> from scikits.protopy import *
> from skprotopy import *
> But I'm currently using:
> from protopy import *
> Is it ok?

It's fine - the "scikits brand" is a nice idea that's turned out not to matter terribly much in practice (IMHO). There are lots of popular packages that don't use the scikits namespace, and several of the popular packages that used to use the scikits namespace have given up on it because it causes distribution headaches. As long as your package is googleable and on PyPi, then people will be able to find and install it.

> Will it be included in the scikits (https://scikits.appspot.com/scikits) when submited to pypi?

Probably not (at least by default?). Listing on this website is probably the only concrete advantage given by using the scikits brand. You can decide how important that is to you :-)

(Technically I think you could name the project scikits-protopy on PyPi while having the python package be called just protopy, but I wouldn't recommend it. IMO PyPi names and python packages should always match unless you have a very good reason why not (e.g. backcompat constraints). Anything else is pointlessly confusing for everyone trying to install your package.)

-n