[SciPy-Dev] GSoC 2014 : Discrete Wavelet Transforms in Scipy

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 17:41:02 EST 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 5:49 AM, Ankit Agrawal <aaaagrawal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
>            I am Ankit Agrawal, a 4th year student enrolled in a Dual
> Degree program(Bachelors + Masters) in Electrical Engineering at IIT
> Bombay. My Masters specialization is in Communication and Signal
> Processing, with focus in Machine Learning and Computer Vision.
>
>            I would like to work on integrating PyWavelets in scipy.signal
> and then adding more features as mentioned on the ideas page<https://github.com/scipy/scipy/wiki/GSoC-project-ideas#wiki-discrete-wavelet-transforms>.
> I participated in GSoC 2013 with scikit-image where I implemented some
> Feature Detectors like FAST, Censure(STAR) and Binary Feature Descriptors
> like BRIEF, ORB and FREAK(in progress). The relevant courses that I have
> taken in the past are Image Processing, Machine Learning, Computer Vision,
> Speech Processing, NLP, Wavelets and Filter Banks*, Probabilistic Graphical
> Models*, Wireless & Mobile Communications* etc.(* - taken this semester).
> My open source contributions can be seen here<https://github.com/ankit-maverick>
> .
>
>            I will get started by fixing some small issues in scipy by this
> weekend. I haven't used PyWavelets before, but me and my group members are
> going to use it in the coming weeks in an application assignment for the
> Wavelets course, which I will try to take as an opportunity to look into
> its codebase. I would also like to discuss features<https://github.com/scipy/scipy/wiki/GSoC-project-ideas#wiki-discrete-wavelet-transforms>to be implemented and some related
> tickets <https://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image/issues/602> in
> detail once I start writing proposal in the next week. If there are other
> things that I should take a look at, please let me know. Thanks.

Hi Ankit, thanks for your interest. I'm curious what you'll propose for
features to implement - there's many ways to go.

At the moment there are no existing issues for DWT or the continuous
wavelets already present in scipy.signal, so I'd say just pick something
that interests you for your first PR(s).

Cheers,
Ralf