[SciPy-Dev] Levenberg-Marquardt Implementation

Evgeni Burovski evgeny.burovskiy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 16:48:27 EST 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 9:37 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 9:25 PM, Evgeni Burovski
> <evgeny.burovskiy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> FWIW, One other possiblity for constrained minimization would be to
>> wrap BOBYQA by Powell.
>>
>> (Disclaimer: All I know about it is from skimming this paper
>> www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/na/NA_papers/NA2009_06.pdf‎
>> and talking to people in PyData London last weekend.)
>>
>> As far as I understand,
>>
>> * it's a state of the art minimizer
>> * the original Fortran code is in public domain
>
> I see no indication of this.

The very last paragraph of readme.txt in bobyqa.zip from
http://mat.uc.pt/~zhang/software.html#bobyqa
"""
<snip>
There are no
restrictions on or charges for the use of the software. I hope that the time
and effort I have spent on developing the package will be helpful to much
research and to many applications.
"""

IANAL of course :-).

At any rate, turns out there's a ticket in scipy tracker for this:
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/1477

Evgeni