[SciPy-Dev] when to drop numpy 1.5.x/1.6.x support?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 15:26:06 EST 2014

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Jaime Fernández del Río <
jaime.frio at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 2:02 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> Thanks for checking. The most recent Ubuntu LTS and CentOS releases are
>> good data points in general I'd say. In this case Ubuntu (and Debian
>> stable) are on 1.6.x, so keep that but drop 1.5.x then?
>>

> +1 on dropping 1.5.x.
>
> I would actually skip over 1.6 and go all the way to 1.7 and its
> multi-axis reduction operations. But having einsum and out kwargs is
> already a much welcome change.

Summary of this thread so far: everyone in favor of dropping 1.5.x support,
on keeping 1.6.x support the opinions are a bit more mixed. So I propose
that we go ahead and drop 1.5.x (let's consider it final if no one objects
in the next day or two) and reconsider dropping 1.6.x in the next release
cycle.

I'd actually suggest only supporting 1.6.2 - no use trying to work around
bugs in 1.6.0/1.6.1 that have been fixed. We did the same with 1.5.x.

Ralf