[SciPy-Dev] wheels on PyPI?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 05:12:13 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 7:34 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 8:55 AM, David Baumgold <db at edx.org> wrote:
>> Hey all, I work for edX, and we include NumPy and SciPy in our software
>> platform. We have a lot of tests for our code, and running them requires
>> making a virtual environment and installing all of our dependencies each
>> time — but NumPy and SciPy take a long time to compile. We’ve actually built
>> Python wheel files for all of our dependencies, which we host on an AWS
>> server: http://edx-wheels.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com It would be
>> super convenient if we could get wheel files for NumPy and SciPy on PyPI, so
>> that its easier for us to install them in our test environment — and I
>> imagine it would help a whole lot of other people, as well! Who has the
>> authorization to upload new packages to the NumPy and SciPy projects on
>> PyPI, and how can I contribute our wheel files back to the community?
>> Alternatively, how can I help the SciPy project build and distribute wheel
>> files automatically, as part of the standard release process? Thanks for the
>> info!
>
> As promised some time ago, I've put up scipy wheels for 0.13.3 on pypi.
>
> Assuming you've got Python.org Python, you should now be able to do:
>
> pip install numpy scipy matplotlib
>
> from the OSX command line (after upgrading pip to latest).

Automated tests on a clean 10.6 machine showing tests passing with pypi wheels:

http://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/builders/scipy-2.7.6-wheel/builds/6
http://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/builders/scipy-3.3.5-wheel/builds/0
http://nipy.bic.berkeley.edu/builders/scipy-3.4.0-wheel/builds/0

The tests start with nothing but the system python, install python.org
python, install wheels into a virtualenv and run the scipy tests.
The test machine has no compilers installed.

Enjoy,

Matthew