[SciPy-Dev] Mp3 support for scipy.io and some help

Richard Tsai richard9404 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 10:45:32 EDT 2014

> Not sure what the patent situation is; Debian and Fedora both seem to
> be shipping mp3 decoders at this point though, unless I'm misreading
> something (at least they seem to have libmad packages).
>
> I'd probably start by trying pymad (GPL in case that matters to you):
>    https://github.com/jaqx0r/pymad
> (which is also shipped by Debian and Fedora).

Fedora puts libmad in RPMFusion, which is designed for avoiding patent
issues. I don't know how Debian does it. Maybe they just ignore the patent?
Patent is different from copyright so many hackers just ignore it.

I think it is not a good idea get involve with these issues. At least the
users
would not be able to use scipy with it in commercial products. But I know
little
about patent laws and the mp3 patent doesn't work in my country. Maybe some
one can clarify it for us?

Richard