[SciPy-Dev] 1.0 roadmap: weave

Constantine Evans cevans at evanslabs.org
Wed Sep 25 15:01:07 EDT 2013

I can at least describe our case of porting away from weave. In order to
improve portability and stability when releasing our software, we ported
our inline C weave code to normal Python C modules. This only required, at
least in our case, separating out the C portions of our code into their own
functions and adding some short boilerplate C code for dealing with
parameters and output. There was no need to modify the already-written C
code beyond placing it into separate files. If I understand the mechanisms
behind weave correctly, this is essentially what weave.inline does
automatically. Perhaps documentation of this porting method, maybe in the
SciPy tutorial to replace the weave section, might be useful.

This of course would not work for porting code that uses weave.blitz, but
blitz involves such small expressions that porting to pure C wouldn't
necessarily seem too tricky (so long as blitz arrays aren't being used).

Regards,
Constantine