[SciPy-Dev] Scipy 1.0 roadmap

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 09:56:08 EDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 2:29 PM, Christoph Deil <
deil.christoph at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On that note … a thought for scipy 1.0 :
>
> Does scipy absolutely need Fortran in general?
> Or are there equivalent C or C++ packages that might be used instead?

Not really. Not with BSD-like licenses, at any rate.

> Getting rid of Fortran code would simplify life for Mac users (and maybe
Windows or even Linux).
> I don't really know how much Fortran is used in scipy or libraries it
depends on, or how much of a problem Fortran really is.
> I'm just asking if getting rid of Fortran is an option even worth
considering for scipy 1.0.

scipy 2.0, maybe. It will be a *lot* of work to find and write replacements
for everything, not to mention that the replacements will probably not work
the same as the current code.

--
Robert Kern