[SciPy-Dev] Scipy 1.0 roadmap

Christopher Jordan-Squire cjordan1 at uw.edu
Sun Sep 22 01:52:01 EDT 2013

For scipy stats, is there anything on the table regarding somehow
unifying the sampling in numpy.random and the distributions in
scipy.stats? I'm specifically thinking of two issues:

(1) There's a lot of duplication between numpy.random and scipy.stats
but with different interfaces. This seems like something that ideally
would be reduced.

(2) The interface for the distributions in scipy.stats seems to
explicitly be for scalar random variables, so there's no multivariate
normals, multinomials, dirichlet, wishart, etc.. Instead the sampling
is in numpy.random, and pdf's aren't there.

Has this been discussed elsewhere?