[SciPy-Dev] tol parameter to minimize_scalar is inconsistent [without HTML this time]

Micky Latowicki micky.latowicki at mobileye.com
Wed Sep 11 13:15:04 EDT 2013

[sorry for the HTML in the first try]

Hi,

I'm a longtime user of scipy and greatly appreciate your work.

I'd like to ask/suggest something about minimize_scalar. It seems to me
that the tol parameter is relative tolerance when the method is 'brent'
and absolute tolerance when the method is 'bounded'. Isn't this confusing?

Perhaps this parameter should be deprecated, until both methods can
support either relative or absolute tolerance? Meanwhile, parameters
with names such as 'abs_xtol' and 'rel_xtol' can be introduced, and
invalid combinations of parameters and method would be rejected with a
ValueError?

Cheers.

This mail was sent via Mail-SeCure system.