[SciPy-Dev] Quadpack conversion to Fortran

Brian Lee Newsom Brian.Newsom at Colorado.EDU
Sun Sep 8 00:43:59 EDT 2013

Hello,

My name is Brian Newsom and I am just beginning to use/work on the scipy
library, specifically the quadpack within the integration pack. Because of
the recursion and wrapping methods used now, running nquad (scipy 0.13)
function is slow-the fortran and python are nested in a way that requires
switching back and forth between the two often.  Ideally this inefficiency
could be overcome by translating the main interface (quadpack.py) into
fortran and just having a minimal python wrapper that is not used in the
recursion.

First off, has anyone attempted (or is currently attempting) this?  Are
there any major difficulties I should be wary of or is this unrealistic for
any reason?  Additionally, I was curious if there are any computational
advantages to using C or Fortran for this purpose within this library,
either is a possibility in the case that one is strongly preferred.

Otherwise, I am sure I will be full of questions in the near future with
specific regards to the building and setup of these files within the scipy
library.

Thank you,
Brian Newsom

Brian.Newsom at colorado.edu